Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Girlfriend Scarf


This is my adaptation of the Koigu Ruffled Scarf. I loved that scarf, but I wanted one just a bit longer. Why do I call it the girlfriend scarf? Because you would be crazy to knit it without the benefit of talking with a girlfriend during the process. This project has a cast on of 696 sts and is very boring. That tells you how much I love this scarf. It's warm and very fluid. This is a no brainer project that you can knit, laugh and drink while knitting.
Here is my adaptation.

The Girlfriend Scarf ©
Size: 6"x40"
Gauge: 4-4.5 sts per inch
Materials: One skein Collinette Jitterbug sock yarn. You will use every bit of this.
My color: 159 Morello Mash 291m
Needles: 40" #6 circular needle. I used a Knit Picks Harmony Needle. This should not be knit too tight because you want it to drape nicely.
Cast on 696 stitches. (Yes, you read that right.)
Work 4 rows stockinette stitch beginning with a knit row.
Ruffle Row Decrease Repeat:
Row 1: (K1, K2tog), repeat to end of row
Row 2: Purl
Repeat these two rows four times
Work 22 rows of Stockinette Stitch ending with a purl row.
Ruffle Row Increase Repeat:
Row 1: (Knit 1, and knit and increase in the next stitch.) Repeat to the end of the row.
Row 2: Purl.
Repeat these two rows four times until original 696 stitches are on the needle. This can be approximate.
Work five rows Stockinette Stitch ending with a purl row. Bind off.
Weave in ends.

No comments: